Friday, February 8, 2008

Simply the Best


February 8, 2008

Today would have been my mother’s 93rd birthday. She is gone now - fifteen years next month. It’s hard to believe it is that long and then sometimes it feels like last week. My mother, Lillian Madeline, was an amazing woman. She was all about family. Lil had five brothers and five sisters. All were very close. They loved family gatherings, harmony singing, playing cards, supporting each other and just plain having fun together.

You know that unconditional love we all crave. Well, my mother gave that to me, my sister, my brother and of course to my father. My father was always star-struck in love with my mother. He lived for her and together they were fortunate to have almost fifty-two wonderful years of marriage. It is with a loving and grateful heart that I say, ”Thank you, Mama, for always being there for me, for your unwavering support and your boundless love. So it is that today I imagine you in heaven laughing, dancing and singing what became your song, “Hello Dolly”!

You were – Simply the Best…

1 comment:

Oscar Wood said...

Your mother was a great and gracious lady fondly remembered by me. However, she was not much of a card player as Mc Cabes go. I think she just enjoyed the company and the card playing was an excuse to get together. But she was certainly a motivated singer, especially "Hello Dolly". I agree.