Saturday, February 23, 2008

Any Soldier


February 23, 2008

Recently I became aware of a wonderful program. I must credit a radio show called Whatever with Alexis Stewart, yes Martha’s daughter, and her friend Jennifer Koppelman Hutt. I don’t have Sirius Satellite Radio but I do check their website and there I get a synopsis of what they and the callers talk about daily. I investigated further and thought I must participate in this program. It was so easy!

The website is www.anysoldier.com. There I read some stories including what the various men and women of the military would appreciate in a “care package”. Then I found myself at CVS since most of the requests were for toiletries. Magazines, DVDs, snack food and photo paper are also sought after commodities.

I returned to the website, since you must check to be sure that the person you will send a package to is still listed. With troop movement and the end of a tour of duty you wouldn’t want to send a package to someone who was no longer there. After securing the package and writing a little note all that remained was to mail it. The cost for 5-6 pounds ends up being about $8.00 – so worth it. If you think you might want to participate or if you are just curious, please visit http://www.anysoldier.com/. The brave men and women in uniform will surely be grateful!

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

Dotty you are an inspiration to us !! Set up a basket at your church group for the month of April,asking people to donate one or two items..from a list. Then ask people to mail a package after two weeks with a note....Many people make a project doable..Good Luck !!

Anonymous said...

great post, dotty! you're so thoughtful of others; liz and i visited the website you mention and we're sending a gift to our soldiers and marines this week! btw - that pic is almost 12 years old... how time flys :) love, jason