Tuesday, February 19, 2008

Customer Service


February 19, 2008


I’m quite certain that we have all experienced exceptional as well as ‘much to be desired’ service. In my case both occurred within the past week at the same electronics chain but in two different locations. In Braintree a young fellow asked if I needed help and I inquired about printers as well as laptops. Let me tell you how congenial, knowledgeable and helpful he was. Kevin spent at least 45 minutes with me and I was truly impressed with his expertise and his ability to share what he knew. I wasn’t buying on that day just gathering information for an imminent purchase. Upon completion of his demonstration and our conversation, I asked to see his manager to compliment him. Unfortunately, he said they were all at a meeting and no one was available. I thanked Kevin and left the store with very positive feelings about both the store and the associate.

Later in the week I'm in Dedham and I decided to buy a CD which was on sale. In the meantime I wanted to get information about a router I will soon need. I asked for help and the associate walking by said he’d be right back. Needless to say after 5 minutes there was no sign of him or anyone else for that matter. I was in the store for at least 40 minutes and was unable to get any help although I was looking for an associate. I didn’t need any help finding the CD I wanted but at the checkout I was charged full price – a difference of $5.00. I pointed out the incorrect price to the cashier. He seemed annoyed but after putting in some code was able to correct the price. He never said ‘sorry about that’ or anything in fact. Since I know that accuracy in pricing is a matter for customer relations to say nothing of the Better Business Bureau and the Attorney General’s Office, I mentioned the error to the person/greeter at the door as I exited. Without saying anything he rudely pointed to the return desk. I said,” No, I don't need a refund the price was corrected by the cashier after I spoke up.” He muttered something about letting them know with the same disinterest the cashier had exhibited. I left that store with rather negative feelings between being ignored and treated rudely.

My mistake was not asking to speak with the manager. I just did not think of it. Curious, because I did when I wanted to give a compliment earlier in the week. There you have it - two completely different experiences in the same chain store but in two different locations.

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

Dotty please do your part contact that store and give your evaluation of the wonderful service that man gave you. Without positive contact and if they work on commission it is no wonder they have no employees the way the world is... keep up the blogging!

dak126 said...

~~~Interestingly enough Kevin happened to mention that they do not work on commission. All the same positive feedback about an employee must certainly help when evaluatiion time rolls around.~~~