Tuesday, May 20, 2008

Unfortunate Dining Experience

I’m sure we all have moments when we feel like or wish we were a restaurant critic. I had just such an experience on Friday, May 16th. With a good deal of anticipation I made a reservation and went to a much hyped restaurant on Cape Cod which opened about a year ago. I had heard so many good things about it and my sister had gone the first week it was in business as well as many times thereafter. The restaurant itself is very tastefully decorated, even classy. I was looking forward to the early menu which I had heard so much about. You get three courses, appetizer, main and dessert for a very good price. This is a nice marketing touch giving most people a chance to experience fine dining. The owner/chef was previously at a highly regarded upscale restaurant of long-standing on the Cape.

Well, my friend and I ordered the fancy pear martini special. We were just about to take a sip and relax when our first course soup arrived literally simultaneously – not acceptable. We immediately felt like we were being rushed and that reality increased as our dinner progressed. We never had a chance to enjoy our cocktails but I will say the soup was a cut above. Now maybe I could have let go of the unfortunate beginning I’ve described but not after what happened next.

I was still enjoying the soup course when the main course arrived. I think the waiters could see the look on my face as they began to set the food on the table. It was then that they offered to take the main course back to the kitchen. This was done without any prompting. Let me tell you I wasn’t inspired with confidence as I finished the first course and wondered how the main course was faring staying warm in the kitchen.

When my steak dinner arrived I will say that the meat was tender but the sauce it was served with was awful. It was tart and reminded me of A1 steak sauce. I tried to avoid it on the plate. Now, I realize that the latter is a matter of taste unlike the previously described shortcomings relating to the pace of the meal and the service. Dinner ended with a tasty dessert. Sadly, the overall experience at Heather’s Restaurant in Mashpee, MA was very disappointing - another case of the anticipation surpassing the realization!

PS Please read my second review written on June 28, 2008.

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

wow- you've really had a bad month! first no big goodbye @ tbe job & then a bad reastaurant experience! Hopefully you'll really live it up the last couple of weeks in May... Here's hoping June will be better!

Anonymous said...

oh god--and well you know my experience!!!!!! was the drink good or any part of it???? M.